Seattle, Washington (Part 1)

7:27:00 PM

   


     So, what can I say, I am currently mid air, flying across to another corner of the U.S. and filled with emotions. I decided quite some time ago that before I began my travels overseas to see the world, I wanted to see what America was all about. This year alone, I have seen places I would have never otherwise thought, but every time I visit somewhere new, I feel as though I am doing what I need to. I have climbed to the top of the appalachian mountains, hiked through Arches National Park, and stood at the tallest tip in Los Angeles. Now, I am on my way to a place, where from what others have told me, is the most majestic places of them all, filled with green mountains and rushing waters, weather that would cloud the sun for days but still allow for a run or bike ride. It has much to live up to, many stories of enchanting landscapes as well as mood changing foods. What a strange place to never have visited, wouldn't you agree. Why would anyone stray away from such a description. I mean, if this were a blind date, I would be excited and nervous to meet such a person. Little did I know, this is what I would feel as the wheels lightly caressed the ground of the runway and as I can now officially say, "Hello Washington State, it's my pleasure to meet you."


     As soon as I landed, I had a sense of relief, a feeling rushed through me as I whispered, "I finally made it." Not just because my plane had landed but due to the fact that I am one step closer to calming my inner itch (see last post). As soon as I stepped out of the airport, I felt the welcome of the fresh Seattle air wash over me. This was like nothing back home, even when I was riding in my rental car I had the urge to stick my head out the window with my tongue out. Lets just say, I left the flat sandy swamplands for a city that has so many curves you would thing it loved to squat. This was met by green for as far as the eye can see, earning its name, "The Emerald City." My first state of business was to get some grub, so I raced down to the first place I can think of, Pike Place Market, and like every other tourist in these foreign land, I wanted a fresh coffee to wake me up.



     So I finally parked my car in garage a few blocks from the market, and it caught me off guard to be standing on a road that sat at a 30 degree angle. Just walking down it made me feel as though I would fall forward. Although it was a little hike I finally made it. With the hustle of the market you can hear the faint hymns of street performers and the smell of seafood whether cooked or raw. This was the center of big commerce, and I was ready to begin my duty of trying it all! After looking around for an hour or so, I grabbed some coffee at "Local Color" and grabbed a little something at "Three Girls Bakery" followed by a detour at a little park around the corner where you can see the Seattle Ferris Wheel and the pier. As I sat there looking at the crowds of people spending cash, having laughs, and soaking the sun, I figured I'd check out the best place to get a view of the city. This is when I found out about a place called Kerry Park from some locals. So I slowly made my way back to the car and began my short trek.



      As I came to the end of the steep roads I notice myself pulling up to a small strip of grass. Parking a block before getting there, I wondered how this can be one of the best views in Seattle. It was only until I walked pass a sculpture they have in the middle that I was able to gaze at the magnificence of Seattle. It was like something I have never seen before, and it was all mine to enjoy. I sat there for what seemed like hours just gazing and thinking of what was yet to come of my trip. I even befriended some travelers from Chicago who I only remember by their nicknames, "Lollipop and Hariette the Spy" (inside jokes). It was amazing to sit there, like I was at the end of the world looking back, and knowing that even though I came from the opposite corner, there is more to see over the horizon.

     I realized it was time for me to go, and finally check in to my hostel, and boy did I have a great time!

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment