A Mothers Touch

12:22:00 PM

           Take a look outside your window. Whether your at work, cruising in a passenger seat, or enjoying the morning chill on your porch (like me). Use that moment to appreciate what you are seeing, in my case, children playing tag (or something of the sort) and throwing leaves at one another. Seeing the lake glisen in the distance while two people are laying back and enjoying its beauty. Even if it's just the trees that you pass by every single day. Imagine if they weren't there, or of all the things they've seen, or how they got there to begin with. Granted, our busy lives don't always let us take time to enjoy the moment and that always leaves us on the hunt to purchase artificial happiness, think about your last vacation, how did your bank account feel? There is beauty in taking the time to admire something, especially if you never noticed it, or you never took time to appreciate it. In my case, I appreciate this person for what they do for me everyday of my life, but I am ashamed to say I forget to appreciate her for who she is.

Mom


         She's been there since the beginning and everyday in between. From the days I needed to heal my broken heart to the days I passed my finish lines, she was there. She has been through some tough times and always gives all of herself for her family, no questions asked. The story of my leading lady started in El Hospital de Bellavista en Callao, Peru where she was brought into this world by my Mamita Raquel. The only girl amongst 7 brothers she learned quickly how to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. All of which was apparent since the day I met her in St. Mary's hospital in Passaic, NJ back in '89. I was a chip off the old block like my brothers before and after me and with my fathers looks and my mothers smarts, they decided to call me Kenneth, and the rest his history (and future).


        My mother has always been very protective of her four cubs, as should any momma bear with 4 reckless animals. She always taught me how to treat a women and how important it is to find someone who loves instead of lusts. Never hesitating to compare my life decisions as a consenting adult to "you don't even know how to wipe your own butt properly, but you want to ..." (haha). Heck, up until a few years back she would argue with me about staying in the exam room during my yearly routine physical. The convo would go as such:

             Doc: Alright, you will need to take your pants off for this physical.
             Me: Mom, can you please wait outside?
             Momma: For what? Like I don't know whats there? I use to change your diapers, remember!?

          She was always very tough, showing us discipline when needed but never forgetting to let us know she will always be here for us. She would console us when we were hurt but remind us to be men when we weren't being tough enough. She overreacts over the simplest things and worries about us just as much when it comes to the big things. She unknowingly embarrasses us with our childhood stories, and inspires us with hers. She doesn't like to party much, but has a ton of little dances when she gets excited followed by her trademark response "Cooley!" (haha)


          Growing up, she would always talk about her beloved Peru. Like the story of how she met my father, or the first time she ever got in a fight, or even the time one of my uncle's used a toy doll as a urinal (haha, I won't say who momma). I remember the birthday's she would spend a week decorating for or how no matter where my parents would go, parties, vacations, or long drives, we would always go as a family. All of these great memories mixed into the realities of the life that I never really saw as a child. My parents came to this country with nothing but the support of their family. I remember my mother working doubles or triples just to come home and cook us a real dinner. The days her cancer got the worst of her and she would still find time to be an amazing mother. Even the days that money was tight and how I didn't understand the concept of "I can't buy that today, next time."



             All these memories came across my mind while sitting on my porch this morning. I've seen my mother cry tears of despair, and shed tears of joy just as much. She is the glue that keeps my family together, and even with her sometime's annoying requests to take a million photos of all my brothers hugging or how she gets irate because I won't kiss my father's forehead when I say goodbye, I don't think my family would have been the same without her motherly kwirk. My father has always been hard on us, but my mother is harder. Not because she's misguided but because she is our strength. In my darkest times, I look to her for guidance. In my biggest decisions, I look to her for honesty. And in the search of a family of my own, I will look to her as my role model. Mother, today is your birthday and even though I live 600 miles away, I will wake up, wish you a happy birthday, and tell you that I love you. Thank you for being the woman that you are, this is dedicated to you.

Love,
Huevi



Food For Thought: Expand Your Mental Pallet.

This one is simple readers. Take today to appreciate who you are and those around you. Really look at something and take a moment to understand it. Sit next to someone you've never met before and ask them about who they are, really ask. Grab someone you know and take time to look into their soul. Don't get lost in false realities or hype. Look for the real.

No comments:

Post a Comment